Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kitty de Milo


This is an improvised card from Pink Lady's Mom. The picture is probably cut out from a magazine. This was a thank you card. Pink Lady had bought her Mom a gift certificate for a massage.
Pink Lady has seen the original Venus de Milo painting at the Uffici in Florence. However, it was not the best possible experience. Pink Lady was in Italy for a week with a good friend. The idea was to visit both Milan and Florence. We flew to Milan and spent some days shopping there.
Then we took the train to Florence and spent some days there. Florence is to die for - but there are way too many tourists - that fact alone makes it feel like Disneyworld. But back to the story. We were planning on visiting the Uffici on the day we would be flying back home - from Milan. When we saw the queues to the Uffici we nearly gave up right then and there...but decided to wait.
It took several hours to get in - so we only had something like a half hour to literally run through the Uffici gallery. But I did get a very good long look at the Venus de Milo - it was the one I was most interested in. Then I rushed to the train station and the train had been cancelled and I took the next one (my friend was on another flight I believe).
I made it back to Milan and to my flight by the skin of my teeth. But something good did come out of it....when I got to the check-in counter (and was sure I had missed the flight) I heard the two ladies behind the counter talking (in Italian) about first class....and sure enough: I had a coach ticket but there was only room in First. It's in fact the only time I've ever travelled in First. In this case, it was exactly like coach; the only difference was that the food was better and the service was more attentive. But a good experience anyway. Pink Lady will surely return to the Uffici to take a closer look. Pink Lady's travels and travails continue...and one day she plans to travel in First all the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment